Parallel Words's Reviews > Want

Want by Stephanie Lawton

U_50x66
Jul 09, 12

Read in June, 2012

One of the greatest joys of reading, for me, are those moments when you get so caught in the story you lose track of time. Want is one of those books. I literally stayed up until two am, unable to put it down. I thought about it all the next day and rushed home to finish reading it.

The main character in Want is Julianne, a complex, interesting, and immensely talented seventeen-year-old. She faces a horrific home life, the psychological impact of which made her a very real and believable character. Her relationships were highly complex, and with her absent-yet-in-the-house father, her mentally ill mother, and her beloved brother away at college, you get a sense of how truly alone Juli is. Whisked into making adult decisions, she must learn to fight for herself to go after her dreams.

While I realize that love triangles are common in young adult fiction, the love triangle in this book still managed to turn me inside out. I was enticed, frustrated, caught up, and even a bit wary at times of the direction things were heading. I oscillated between being on Team Isaac and Team Dave, both of whom were gorgeous in their own way. Right up to the end of the book, I wasn’t sure which side I was on, because I had empathy for both men and understood her attraction to them, despite the taboo of the age differences. I even held my breath a few times as she made some tough choices in what felt like a very intense and yet profoundly realistic story.

This story opened my eyes to how exciting contemporary YA romance can be. It's a great read, and while it's in the Young Adult category, the adult themes of this book make it more suitable for readers 16+.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Want.