Deborah's Reviews > The Map of Lost Memories

The Map of Lost Memories by Kim Fay

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: first-reads-shelf
Read from July 09 to 10, 2012

I won an advance copy of this book through GoodReads First Reads.

My mind is still reeling from all the good things about this novel (or maybe it's from lack of sleep, due to reading it for such long periods of time). It has been awhile since I have been so truly absorbed in a book from cover to cover--and after finishing it, wanting to turn back to page 1 and begin again. The story starts In Seattle with Irene Blum the protagonist, then moves to Shanghai, Saigon, and finally Cambodia as other characters join her. The story-line involves the world of art, museums, artifacts, and the search for cultural histories during the 1920's. The search is for a heretofore undiscovered written history of the Khmer dynasty of kings, an entire civilization that simply ceased to exit with no solution to the mystery of what could have caused it's disappearance. I found the story moved smoothly and in places with prose and descriptions that bordered on poetic. I felt I was right there with this small group of explorers experiencing the sights, smells, tastes, emotions, ethical dilemmas, and lack of trust of the motives of one another. Some of the characters were very wounded emotionally, and Simone in particular was difficult to like. Very slowly, many secrets that tie the four main characters (Louis, Marc, Irene, and Simone) together are revealed and to their increasing amazement as well as the readers, we find that over a period of many years one person has been planning in the background (in minute detail) for them all to come together in this quest. I highly recommend The Map of Lost Memories. A wonderful first novel...........and room was left for a continuation in another book :-)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of Lost Memories.