Stephanie's Reviews > If There Be Thorns

If There Be Thorns by V.C. Andrews

Jul 16, 2012

liked it
Read from July 09 to 16, 2012

Continuing on with the perversion of nature and corruption of innocence I see...

What. the. hell.

You realize just how crazy a book is when you're explaining the plot to someone who will never read it and they're just staring at you, open-mouthed. (Now my boyfriend thinks I read these weird things and hopes that I'm sane)

I am surprised with the direction that Andrews took in this, because in the last one, I foresaw Jory as the one with issues (much like his father). But no, Jory is a beautiful, proper, awesome and sweet kid, and Bart is the nutcase with social issues. Of course Grandma/Mother Dearest is back to cause more shenanigans, even if she doesn't mean to, and she brought a psychotic butler with her to brainwash a ten year old into becoming what would be described as a prelude to a serial killer. Then we have Cathy and Chris, who are not only living together and exuding excessive PDA in front of the kids, but the kids think that they are hubs and wife and have no idea that they're brother and sister.

Woah.

And also Dr. Sheffield is no more, not surprising since he was 40 years older than Cathy...but still, I feel like things might have been better handled with Doctor Cradlerobber around.

I don't condone the murder of innocent animals in any books. RIP Clover and Apple and Kitten.

A good continuation of the craziness of Flowers in the Attic, but I still believe that the the first and second book were much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If There Be Thorns.