Cherylann's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: dystopian-society, books-on-the-nightstand
Read from July 09 to 14, 2012

I started listening to this book on Audible, and I can highly recommend the audio - the narrator was very good. However, I got so into the story that when my husband came home from the store with a copy of the book, I quickly put the audio down and dug in to the print. I needed to find out how the story ended. When I started the book, I expected it to be another work of dystopian fiction. I expected a cross between Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeiffer and The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I quickly learned that Miracles stands on its own. Walker's prose is poetically beautiful. There were times when I rewound the audio to hear a sentence again or reread a passage in the book because the language was hauntingly beautiful. I had those moments when I wished I had written some of the language. The story itself is also gripping. Julia, an 11 year old when the slowing begins, narrates the novel. I expected it to be a novel about what happens to the earth, specifically American society, after a catastrophe strikes, in this case a gradual slowing of the earth's rotation on its axis. But it's so much more than that. It's a novel that explores relationships - the relationships of family and of friends. It's a novel that causes one to pause and think a bit about the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.