Pete daPixie's Reviews > Astronomy

Astronomy by Ian Ridpath

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: stardust
Read from July 07 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

Ian Ridpath has been writing science and astronomy books for around forty years. I have a copy of his 1977 publication of 'Signs of Life'. Dorling Kindersley published this Eyewitness Companions book on 'Astronomy' in 2006. He has also produced the 'Stars and Planets Guide' for Collins and the 'Times Universe' for Times books as well as editing the 'Oxford Dictionary of Astronomy'. He has written or edited more than forty books on this subject.
I can understand readers of this book rating it up to five stars. DK always produce these quality pocket size guides. I suppose for those new to the subject, this is as good an introduction as any.
I just feel that these pocket sized all inclusive books should have been written some fourteen billion years back in time, when the Universe could perhaps have fitted snugly into the 8 x 5 inch frame.
After a brief introduction to the history of human fascination and exploration of the night sky, the following eighty pages zoom through the Universe like a proton along the Hadron collider. As a practicing amateur astronomer I found the Guide to the Constellations, some seventy pages, to be my main attraction.
With such a huge subject that is ever expanding, why not pay a little more and feast the eyes on the 'Cambridge Atlas of Astronomy'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Astronomy.