Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Jul 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-100-book-challenge, 2011-release, 2011-debut-authors, books-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews
Read in July, 2012

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked up this book, but it definitely wasn't what I got. Deborah Harkness wowed me with her debut. It was simply one of those fabulous reads that I wanted to devour, but instead found myself savoring everything that was going on. It's a story that's part adventure, part mystery and one part a uniquely crafted paranormal historical read. I loved the story's fascinating mix of intrigue, rich history, exciting paranormal elements and it's good old fashion romance.

You guys know how much I love well crafted, intriguing, complex characters. Deborah's protagonists, Doctor Diana Bishop and centuries old vampire/renowned scientist Matthew Clairmount fit that bill perfectly! These two took intrigue and complex to a whole new level. The fact that these two were so highly intelligent added to their over all character appeal for me. They weren't intelligent in the "I have no idea what you're talking about" way, but in the wow, Deborah really had her work cut out with these guys. They were times I felt like I was sitting in on their conversations vs reading about them. It was refreshing for me to read about characters who have intellect, as well as history smarts.

Witches, Vampires, and Demons oh my! There's a lively cast of paranormal favorites here, or more like classic paranormal favorites. I felt like Deborah really did her homework on these characters and I enjoyed the own unique spin she gave each of them, which made for some authentic characters. Each character gave something back to the story. It also added some fabulous tension between Diana, who's a witch and the vampire Matthew. We all know witches and vampires don't go round holding hands and hanging out all the time together, but there's something these two offer each other aside from help and looking for answers they're both in need of. I loved the chemistry these two have. It's hot, complex and sometimes a little comical.

Aside from the characters I really loved this story's setting. Oxford was the perfect setting for this book, and I felt like it fueled some of the story's overall appeal for me. I also enjoyed this story's over all plot line. It was highly engaging and kept the over all story entertaining and engaging for me. Sure there's a few moments where it's a little slow, but the majority of the story just flows. One of the things I loved about Deborah's writing was how descriptive it was. Normally I would have said it was a little over done, but it really worked with this book, because there's so much to this story's rich history and historical setting. I felt Deborah's attention to details, both little and big went along way in this book. I can only imagine how much time she spent on researching.

A Discovery of Witches is an adult book with a ton of appeal for us "adult" YA readers who love a well crafted story with plenty of paranormal elements, historical references, fabulous character chemistry, adventure and a good mystery. It's one I'd highly recommend picking up!
3 likes · flag

Kimberly Your review of this book is far better worded than anything I could think of when trying to convince a customer to read it. It's a great read, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Kimberly wrote: "Your review of this book is far better worded than anything I could think of when trying to convince a customer to read it. It's a great read, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so."

Thank you so much for that Kimberly! That makes me feel like I've done my job as a reviewer. I'm so thrilled to know you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) This was for me my best read of 2011. Since the first time I have read it again and listened to the WONDERFUL audio twice. Audios are so much in the hands of the reader, and this one was perfect. Every time I have read/listened to it I have picked up something I missed the first time. I am part way through the sequel now

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness