Sue's Reviews > Zero Hour

Zero Hour by Jordan Castillo Price

Jul 09, 2012

bookshelves: favourite, post-apocalyptic
Read from July 09 to 12, 2012

Loved, loved, loved this!
The dystopian genre obviously suits me, as I found the crumbling settings of a post-apocalyptic America (New Seattle) and the very strange societal structure Jordan Castillo Price created for it, amazingly gripping and interesting.
I'd read quite a few of those post-apocalyptic books where religious authorities of one kind or another run the world, or at least the book's part of the world, but this is the first that includes a huge control of society via technology. There is still some religious element, but it's very different from the traditional, almost Old Testament kind I've seen elsewhere. Very nice world-building.
The main character, Ernest, and his eventual partner Will, are great. Ernest especially, in his naive, brainwashed way, makes you want to read to see what happens to him next. He's like a child, at first, stumbling around a dangerous world and not realising his peril.
But he learns. He's very adept at manipulating data and thus getting himself out of scrapes and locked doors. Thank goodness he is; he needs all his skill, and Will's help, to survive long enough to wise up to what his world is really like. Those rose-coloured glasses he'd had since childhood were deadly.
I really want to read some more of Jordan's work now. I'd previously read Hemovore, and enjoyed that a lot, but Zero Hour was even better. Mnevermind next, perhaps :)
Oh, and ps... I love P.L. Nunn's cover. Love her style!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero Hour.