Brooke's Reviews > The Likeness

The Likeness by Tana French

Nov 16, 08

bookshelves: 2008, mystery
Read in November, 2008

And I thought In the Woods was good...I sucked down this nearly-500 page sequel in two days and then couldn't believe I'd been apprehensive about In the Woods even needing a sequel.

Detective Cassie Maddox goes undercover, with a twist - she's taking the place of a murder victim who looks just like her, and who had taken up residence in a cover identity that Cassie had created years before. She has to slip effortlessly into the role and find out if any of the four best friends that "Lexie Madison" had shared a house with are suspects.

I found the whole story fascinating. I was on edge the whole time wondering if she could pull it off, if she would slip up, if someone inside the house had killed her or if it was someone from the victim's mysterious past. The whole thing requires a certain suspension of disbelief, but Tana French does a great job feeding the reader enough plausible bits to make it all palatable.

Although there are a handful of references to In the Woods sprinkled throughout the book, The Likeness is definitely its own self-contained story. Understanding her mental state being a direct result of the events of the first book, however, goes a long way towards explaining why she's so easily sucked into her undercover life.

Now I've reached that terrible place where I want to stay in the world that the author has created, but have to wait for her to write another book. I hope I don't have to wait too long.
49 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Likeness.

11/15/2008 page 183

Pamela i completely hear you -- i want to stay in french's world, i want more maddox and/or ryan...

do you think french will do the next one from sam's pov? hm.

Salma I actually read that she was going to do the next one from the detective Frank's POV. Not crazy about the idea, but we'll see.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Oh, I'm not too sure about Detective Frank's point of view either. Although she's running out of options for using the same type of psychological narrative she used for the first two.
I think it would require too much suspension of disbelief to use Rob or Cassie again. And to use Sam, it would have to be a strange storyline - you'd almost have to break up his relationship with Cassie, which I really don't want to see.
I think it would be interesting to see more of Rob, but from Frank's POV. Or from an entirely new character's POV.

Maree I just read the first book in this series and thought it was awesome...can't wait to read this one!

engarde Just finished the audiobook yesterday and am suffering from withdrawals. Completely agree with your review. I was more surprised with how much I fell in love with each of the roommates. I felt her loss at losing them.

Anami Just finished the book and uploaded it on Goodreads...when I read your review. Spot on! :D just when I felt like talking about the book immediately...! Thanks!