Hannah (Jaedia)'s Reviews > 666 Park Avenue

666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce

Nov 01, 12

bookshelves: witches, received-for-review, fiction, paranormal-urban-fantasy
Read from October 10 to 13, 2012

I’m not entirely sure what I expected from 666 Park Avenue but it certainly wasn’t what I got. I guess I was expecting one of two things. Either something closer to the typical modern day urban fantasy settings I’m getting used to with “independent” heroines and monster of the week, or perhaps something on the other end of the scale, a novel closer to a literary magical realism, so dry there was no way I could enjoy it, but 666 Park Avenue is neither of these things. The atmosphere Gabriella Pierce has created in her book is dark but magical, as such it’s easy to become engrossed in the story. She uses a fair few clichés which usually would have me rolling my eyes and running for the hills but strangely I delighted in them. They felt more like a cosy old blanket. It felt much like a cross between Witches of Eastwick and Practical Magic and for this I adored it.

We follow the story of Jane, a French orphan and architect who meets Malcom Doran at an art auction and they instantly hit it off. Malcolm is a wealthy New York socialite, and within a month Jane has agreed to give up the life she had built for herself (*scowl*) and move to New York with him, to be a part of his socialite family. For those of you who have watched the series, you may notice that the two sound nothing alike. Jane is a completely different character, as is the building the book is named after and Mr and Mrs Doran themselves as well, and they are the only parts that really cross over. The other things: characters, plot lines.. they just don’t exist and honestly I’m glad about this. You can read the books and watch the series and not know a thing about either.

I do wish Jane would have a little self respect.. She barely knows anything about Malcolm and is instantly willing to up and leave the life she has built for herself. It is sort of explained but you’d still think she might wonder who this guy is? Despite the niggles, I did really enjoy it and some of the characters are fab. The Doran family are easy to hate, some of the things they come out with, particularly Malcolm’s mother, Lynne, are literally jaw dropping. I personally don’t see how Malcolm is worth all the abuse Jane gets but it sure makes for a great book. And I loved her friends as well, particularly Harris. They brought a sense of fun into the novel where the rest of it was fear for Jane. 666 Park Avenue definitely made me feel something and there is no higher praise for an author.

Basically, if you like witchy stories, you’ll like 666 Park Avenue. It’s magical and intense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 666 Park Avenue.

10/11/2012 page 70
20.0% "Enjoying it so far despite the rushed romance plot."
10/12/2012 page 222
66.0% "Really enjoying this one now. Kinda like a cross between.. Practical Magic and Witches of Eastwick?"
10/13/2012 page 282
83.0% "Shall finish today! I expected to shout at the heroine throughout but oddly I'm not. Really like it."

message 1: by Hanna (new) - added it

Hanna Really curious about this one. So are you reading it, so you can watch the tv series?

Hannah (Jaedia) There's going to be a tv series? :o I didn't know that! I'm actually reading it because Canvas sent over this one and book two for review. :D

message 3: by Hanna (new) - added it

Hanna Yep, it's going to air this fall! I actually only heard about it this week: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2197797/ Also, while we're at it, you as a fan of fairy tale retellings should really check out Once Upon a Time (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843230/), if you haven't already ;).

Hannah (Jaedia) Of COURSE I have!! That's one of my favourites :D

message 5: by Hanna (new) - added it

Hanna The new season just started and it's getting really interesting! I can't wait to see what new characters they have in store for us this season (besides Mulan) :).

Hannah (Jaedia) New season?! SQUEE!!

message 7: by Hanna (last edited Oct 11, 2012 03:48AM) (new) - added it

Hanna Yes the first two episodes are out and they're good! They do raise a lot of questions though...O__o

message 8: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland Hm, so this is the book the tvshow is based on? I must say the book sounds better since I watched ep 1

Hannah (Jaedia) Yup. I wasn't sure what I'd think of it if I'm honest but can't wait to read book two now.