J.J. Bonds's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Jul 09, 2012

Read from September 09 to 20, 2012

What can I possibly say about Throne of Glass that hasn't already been said? Probably nothing. As usual, I'm late to the party, but that's never stopped me before, so I'm going to keep on writing because TOG was an amazing story! If you follow my reviews you know that I'm selective (read: stingy) about giving out 5 star ratings, but this book earned it! It's hard to believe that Sarah J. Maas is a debut author or that this epic tale was ten years in the making. Thank hades for persistence!

First and foremost, TOG has an intriguing and original plot. I'm not really into fantasy, but this book sucked me in ala Hunger Games style, and after just a few pages, I was hooked. There are several storylines unfolding as TOG progresses and I loved that Maas allowed us to see the inner workings of the glass palace through the eyes of multiple MC's.

As for the protag? Celaena is a girl after my own heart- smart, strong, and attitude to spare. Oh, and did I mention that she's completely unapologetic? It's hard to reconcile such a young girl with the word 'assassin', but Mass does a wonderful job presenting Celaena as both lethal and endearing. She's proud of her accomplishments and elite status, yet Celaena does not relish in taking lives. She's grounded -or as grounded as a troubled teenage assassin with a penchant for fancy dresses can be. This was another thing I loved about Celaena: although she's survived unimaginable horrors, and despite her less than trusting demeanor, she is not calous or cruel. Celaena has a good heart and is fiercely loyal to those around her.

And the dreaded love triangle? It was done so well I was completely unable to choose between Chaol and Dorian. Both had something Celaena needed and each connected with her in a very different and gratifying way. Ultimately, I found myself flip-flopping with each turn of the page, unable to determine who I felt was best suited to hold the assassin's heart. After all, how's a girl supposed to choose between a guy who radiates heat and one who understands the very fiber of her being?

The only down side? Book two, which is currently unnamed, will not release until next year! This is extra brutal since it's already written!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

09/13
16.0% "Love Celaena! This chick was written for me!"
09/16
49.0% "I cannot get enough of this book! If only I could squeak out more time to read this week!"
09/20
92.0% "Do I have to go to work? Because I'd much rather stay home and finish this book. So close and it's so good!"
01/26 marked as: read