Charis's Reviews > Man Plus

Man Plus by Frederik Pohl

F_50x66
Jul 18, 12

Read from July 09 to 18, 2012

Beware of spoilers in this review!

I am surprised that I have ended up giving this book three stars, as I was so enjoying the majority of the book, which is only let down by the ending.

I would have liked to see the different sections of the book woven together in a more cohesive way and given an equal treatment, as all three as I see them are fascinating and worthy of exploration (the breakdown of civilisation, the man plus project, the gradual takeover by hidden forces). The last section felt like it was only tagged on at the end, while parts of the man plus project felt drawn out and the tensions created in the love triangle between Roger, Brad and Dorrie ultimately meaningless where some of the other ideas could have been further explored.

I enjoyed reading the majority of this book but feel my investment in the story was not rewarded by the ending. Other books such as 'More Than Human' do a much better job of weaving sections of story together while giving each area sufficient room to develop. This book left me hanging the way an episode of 'The Outer Limits' would with a double dramatic twist and an open question dangling at the end, which I personally think is lazy form for a novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man Plus.