Melissa's Reviews > Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: re-reading
Read from November 01, 2011 to January 08, 2012

I can't remember exactly when I read Blue Like Jazz the first time, but as an end/beginning to 2011/2012 it has been absolutely perfect.

Donald Miller finds himself living amongst the people and students of Reed college, living missionaly and intentionally and without all the 'normal' fellowship aspects the church and ministry groups generally prescribe. And he learns so much. And he shares so much. And nothing else could have offered me the depth and sincerity of insight as I currently live in a land where most of my friends, my community doesn't ascribe to the 'normal' fellowship aspects church community requires, affords, etc. And I love that. And I needed to work through it in the way Don Miller makes possible.

(I highlighted over 40 passages in the book - I'm not going to pretend that these are my favorites, just some that I want to share)

"Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way." Location 63

"Many of the students hated the very idea of God, and yet they cared about people more than I did." Location 621

"My belief in Jesus did not seem rational or scientific, and yet there was nothing I could do to separate myself from this belief." Location 807

"Self-discipline will never make us feel righteous or clean; accepting God's love will. The ability to accept God's unconditional grace and ferocious love is all the fuel we need to obey Him in return." Location 1083

"I want my spirituality to rid me of hate, not to give me reason for it." Location 1704

"It was the affection of Christ, not the brutality of a town, that healed Zaccheaus." Location 2261

"I was tired of biblical ethic being used as a tool with which to judge people rather than heal them." Location 2716

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Like Jazz.