Leanne's Reviews > Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Jul 08, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook, autobuy-author, comfort-read, favorites, fav-narrators, made-me-laugh, made-me-cry, mm, romance, young-adult
Read from July 10 to 12, 2012

Irrepressible. Fun. Whimsical. Wise. Poetic.
This book blew me away and I'm not a gay teen. How is that possible? Perhaps because it's told with such simple elegance and sensitivity. Perhaps because it gave me a sense that this world in which the football star is also a flaming transvestite, might one day actually be a reality. And perhaps because those bitter-sweet memories of high school and finding acceptance, and love, still resonate many years later.

I started listening to a (most excellent!)full cast audio book production of the story but knew I was missing out on the words. And man, does this author know how to use words. So I toggled between the the two, listening then reading. Or reading then listening (the audio is really that good)and immersed myself fully in Levithan's charming world.

Highly, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Boy.

Quotes Leanne Liked

David Levithan
“Because sometimes you just have to dance like a madman in the Self-Help section of your local bookstore.”

David Levithan
“I've always known I was gay, but it wasn't confirmed until I was in kindergarten.

It was my teacher who said so. It was right there on my kindergarten report card: PAUL IS DEFINITELY GAY AND HAS VERY GOOD SENSE OF SELF.”

David Levithan
“His books are kept on freestanding shelves hung at different angles on a sea-green wall. They defy gravity, as good books should.”

David Levithan
“We stay this way until twilight colours the window and the hour calls me home”

David Levithan
“We hold hands as we walk through town. If anybody notices, nobody cares. I know we all like to think of the heart as the center of the body but at this moment, every conscious part of me is in the hand that he holds. It is through that hand, that feeling, that I experience everything else.”

David Levithan
“We could call you an ambisexual. A duosexual. A—”
“Do I really have to find a word for it?” Kyle interrupts. “Can’t it just be what it is?”
“Of course,” I say, even though in the bigger world I’m not so sure. The world loves stupid labels. I wish we got to choose our own.
We pause for a moment. I wonder if that’s all—if he just needed to say the truth and have it heard. But then Kyle looks at me with unsure eyes and says, “You see, I don’t know who I’m supposed to be.”
“Nobody does,” I assure him.”

07/10/2012
30.0% "Everybody is jingling and jangling; I look for Noah like I’d look for a pocket of calm.
Instead I run into Infinite Darlene. Or, more accurately, she runs on over to me. There are few sights grander at eight in the morning than a six-foot-four football player scuttling through the halls in high heels, a red shock wig, and more-than-passable make-up. If I wasn’t so used to it, I might be taken aback."

Anyta Sunday This is a lovely story! David Levithan is such a great author. :)

Leanne Oh my goodness--it's utterly delightful!!!!Such beautiful, whimsical writing! Instant fan :)

Anyta Sunday I just bought this book for a friend today! It is wonderful, ALL of David's stuff is. Also, his stuff co-written with Rachel Cohn is brilliant. I just love Eli and Naomi's No Kiss List! Ohhh, and if you like this teen type of book, David and John Greene wrote an awesome one together called Will Grayson, Will Grayson. The stories explore all sorts of relationships and are just perfect for teens and for adults to enjoy!

Leanne What a lovely gift!I've had to force myself to sort of ration it out 'cause I just don't want it to end too soon.

Thanks for the recs. I've been browsing, wondering what to try next. :D

Leanne *gasp* Just realised it was Cohn and Levithan who wrote Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist! I loved that movie!!!