s.penkevich's Reviews > Oblivion

Oct 07, 12

bookshelves: short-story, too_cool_for_school, po-mo
Read from July 08 to October 07, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oblivion.

Gabi Dopazo hey, how are you getting on? I'm almost through with the second story and so far I'm bored... have been expecting something great to happen but after 100 pages still no news of the baby Jesus

s.penkevich I need to get back to reading this one. I've been skipping back and forth from this and his essays. This does seem much slower going than Girl, but I rather like it. I spend a ton of time in a dictionary though. And I sort of have to delay expectations, the first story was something I had to gut through to be able to enjoy once I was finished. I haven't been reading this in order either, perhaps skip ahead to Good Old Neon (I loved that one), or Philosophy and the Mirror... that story was crazy cool.

Gabi Dopazo I skipped the last 5 pages of the first one, too much detail and explanation and facts without the glue that often makes him so good... didn't find it hard to read, it was different, it was like dead-reading, no feeling what so ever. If I had to give one reason for liking FW so much would be that every now and then he makes me smile out of pure genius. I’m reading something and I smile not because it’s funny but because it’s like a Mercedes Benz kind of sentence, or description, or dialogue… and anyway, so far here, ni fu ni fa (as we say in Spanish). So far is like dating a girl with no tits

s.penkevich Gabi wrote: "I skipped the last 5 pages of the first one, too much detail and explanation and facts without the glue that often makes him so good... didn't find it hard to read, it was different, it was like de..."

Haha, the last sentence of your response is a total gem. I get that. I think what made me enjoy it so much was James Wood's take on it from How Fiction Works. He says how DFW is able to totally assume the voice and persona of a character and uses Mr Squishy as an examply how the story is a boring character and says that his ability to drain all the fireworks out of his writing and 'become bordom' is incredible.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't know this book! Maybe there isn't a translation into spanish. I want to start with Wallace, but Infinite Jest scares me. What book of Wallace would you recommend to start?

s.penkevich I started with his short stories in Girl With Curious Hair and found that to be extremely accessible and engaging. I love that book. This one is good too, but definitely requires a lot more effort on the part of the reader. I have yet to read IJ as well, but I'm thinking that is my next project to tackle!