Alice's Reviews > The Next Best Thing

Jul 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: chicklit
Read in July, 2012

I've never been a very big Jennifer Weiner fan, but I liked that this book was set in Hollywood and that the protagonist was a showrunner. Weiner herself worked on a short-lived ABC Family series called "State of Georgia" starring Raven-Symone, and the plot of this book is a thinly-veiled version of that experience (and that's entertaining for media business junkies like me). I also liked the grandmother character, who had a fabulous wardrobe and was very accomplished and classy. Unfortunately, the rest of the book is pretty boring. The heroine isn't very interesting and her television-writing humor comes out of nowhere since in the rest of her life she's a bit of a wet blanket. Yes, tragedy had befallen her, but still. If she's badass enough to end up a showrunner, she's clearly not a sad sack. I did like the sex scenes, and I liked that the love interest was in a wheelchair (although his lurve for her also seemed a bit unlikely since, as I said, she's a boring character).

Mildly diverting but I probably won't even remember that I read it next week.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Best Thing.