Heather's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Mar 14, 15

bookshelves: historical-fiction, own, art, 5-star-reads
Read from March 06 to 13, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Horan did a fantastic job of creating such a well-rounded story. Not only were the characters of Mamah Borthwick Cheney and Frank Lloyd Wright wonderfully fleshed out, but the sense of place and the time period, along with the sentiments and opinions of the day were brought so beautifully to life.

Being married to an architect I was, of course, already familiar with Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture. But I had no idea of the man himself, behind the art. I find it fascinating, getting a glimpse into the minds of true creative geniuses. They seem to operate on a completely different level, live by a totally different set of rules, outside of the normal societal confines.

Frank and Mamah's love affair certainly was anything but conventional. I loved getting to see so deeply into their characters and to see the how their relationship impacted their lives and the lives of their families. They did not choose an easy road, but one that allowed them to stay true to themselves. If you are not familiar with their story, the ending will most definitely be surprising.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.

03/06 marked as: currently-reading
03/06 page 13
3.0% "Darn it! I wish I hadn't googled info on Mamah Cheney. I just got what was going to be a surprise end to the story ruined for me. I had no idea.Bummer! I couldn't resist, though."
03/08 page 108