Gail's Reviews > His Captive Lady

His Captive Lady by Anne Gracie

Oct 28, 08

Read in September, 2008, read count: 2

I just read this book for the second time in about 3 months. I picked it up to glance through it and remind myself of the story, and got sucked right back into it. It is that good. So.
The hero and heroine meet in the rain and have a moment of connection when he helps her before they go their own direction. Then they meet again at an estate she's been evicted from, one he's intending to buy, and that connection tightens. She's an earl's daughter with no money and a deep secret, and he's the bastard son of an earl trying to live down his past. He asks her to marry him, giving himself all sorts of sensible reasons, but the real one--which he sort of admits to himself--is that he can't let her go. But she cannot let herself stay. She departs on the next stage. Then they stumble across each other again in Bath. She's working for a horrible woman, and he's still looking for a wife--but none of the women his aunt comes up with will do. And this time, he takes her captive. The hero and heroine both have horrible things in their past, and Gracie reveals them bit by bit. This book had me wiping my eyes and swallowing down huge lumps BOTH times I read it. It is a Lovely, wonderful story. There is Lots of Angst, so if you want a light story, this isn't it. But it's so heartfelt--and the wildly happy ending makes perfect sense. It's just a wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Captive Lady.