S.W.'s Reviews > Gasparilla's Treasure

Gasparilla's Treasure by Scott Clements

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: middle-grade, adventure, owned
Read from July 13 to 19, 2012

Gasparilla's Treasure is a worthy adventure read for middle-graders. I'll try to offer some useful comments without letting out any spoilers.
The three central characters are your typical kids. The main character, Trip, provides the link to the background story that leads to the adventure. Josh is his goofy friend, and Sarah is a newbie to their school.

As the story develops, so too does the friendship between the three characters. There is a common enemy, Eli the bully, and the three need to work together (well at least Josh thinks he's helpful) to solve the mystery that has been unsolved for generations. For those of you who are wondering, there wasn't excessive violence, offensive storylines or actions, so I think it's a good wholesome story for the middle grade target audience.

My favourite character was Josh, the goofball, as he added some comic relief to the story, by just being himself. He lingered in the adventure without having to actually contribute much, so he was free to fulfil his love of video games along the way. My least favourite character was Eli, the bully, not due to the writing, but just for the fact that I hate bullies. This indicates to me that the author has been successful in portraying the baddie character to the reader.

Overall, I enjoyed this adventure and it kept my interest from cover to cover. There were hints of more to come - a second book perhaps? I'd be pleased if there were more adventures to read in the future.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gasparilla's Treasure.

07/14/2012 page 25
07/19/2012
100.0% "Enjoyed this one. Review to follow soon."
show 4 hidden updates…