rainycityreflections's Reviews > Sorta Like a Rock Star

Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorta Like a Rock Star.

rainycityreflections Not the most believable plot at points, but definitely one of the more moving young adult novels I've read recently. As many other reviewers have commented about Sorta Like A Rock Star, the character development is somewhat uneven, but there are LOTS of characters to keep track of and author Matthew Quick does an admirable job of making the characters who are most significant to main character Amber Appleton at various points in this story seem like real, flesh-and-blood people rather than the cliches they could have been in the hands of a less-capable writer.

Quick wrote in the first person, so we get Amber's story from Amber's point of view and in her own quirky, personality-plus voice. While Amber is far from being a typical teenager, she seems genuine in moments of both pain and triumph. The plot, too, contained a number of events that might have seemed over the top, but again Quick's engaging writing had me willingly suspending my disbelief and engaging fully with the story.

I was intrigued enough by the synopsis and other reviews of this book to put it on reserve at the library. Because it took awhile to work my way to the top of the reserve list, I'm sure a number of other readers had the pleasure of reading Sorta Like A Rock Star before I did. Here's hoping those who follow me on the reserve list find it to be the gem I think it is.