Michelle's Reviews > The Rape of Europa: The Fate of Europe's Treasures in the Third Reich and the Second World War

The Rape of Europa by Lynn H. Nicholas

Dec 18, 08

bookshelves: abandoned, non-fiction
Read in December, 2008

Dear Lynn Nichols,

I'm very sorry that I have had to give up on your informative, well-researched, and extensively annotated book. I'm sure that if I'd finished it, it would have been awesome, so I'm going to go ahead and give it five stars anyway.

You see, Netflix has this great new feature where you can download movies and watch them immediately. I'm going to watch the documentary instead. Yes, I normally prefer to read the book, but in this case I'm going to make an exception.

Oh, and another reason why I'm going to stop reading your book is because every time you put in an endnote, which is often, by the way, I am compelled to look it up in the back of the book. Most of the time I needn't have looked them up, but I can't not look them up. Needless to say, this is quite time consuming.

You can be assured that if I ever find myself with a lot of time on my hands, I will pick your book up again.

With warmest regards,
Michelle

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rape of Europa.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

But... but... five stars for an unfinished book?

message 2: by Meen (last edited Dec 18, 2008 06:29PM) (new)

Meen Extensive endnotes? That is always a good sign! I wouldn't have stopped reading the book, but I feel your pain, Boobs. I can't not turn back to the endnotes, either, so what I usually do is read through the notes for a chapter first and then read the chapter. It's recent enough that I usually remember the reference info if it is anything pertinent to the passage. (I hate when you flip back to the notes and it's just references to other books.)

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Dec 18, 2008 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle I know...I was torn. What I had read was five-star material.

Dammit. Now I'm going to have to un-abandon it and keep reading.

Edit* Mindy, most of the notes are references to other books.
: )

message 4: by Chloe (new)

Chloe For what it's worth, the documentary was really well done.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I say give up when you want to. The book was made for man, not man for the book!!!!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

"The book was made for man, not man for the book!!!!!!"

Shit man...I can dig that. But who was the remote control made for?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

For Jon. It's Jon's remote.

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt I feel your pain Michelle. Excessive footnotes/endnotes bug the hell out of me also. Do you skip to the note and ruin the flow or read them all at the end and try to remember what they reference? An OCD nightmare...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

My inevitable question with matters like these... Why not footnotes?!?! They're so much more convenient. And sexy.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim I fucking hate footnotes.. this is why issue with the Oscar Wao book... (which I will force myselt to read this weekend, as long as the brain injured comply)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

They're better than endnotes! So nyah!

Michelle Tadpole, I skip to the note and ruin the flow. Now you see why I had to give up. I tried it the other way, but then I couldn't remember what they referenced.
: (

I love footnotes. The Forger's Spell had footnotes, and for that I was grateful.

message 13: by Meen (new)

Meen I do like footnotes best, but most of what I read is endnoted (history and sociology style), so to avoid that flipping back & forth disruption or to avoid having to remember everything after I've read a chapter, I've found that my method of reading the endnotes of a chapter first (and just skimming the "see, for example:" references) and then reading the chapter works best. (And I am more than a little OCD, so I can testify that it averts that nightmare, Tad.)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

You must subtract a star for the endnote problem.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

My remote. Thanks Mo. Now I just need a TV or something to click it at. The mirror is not affected by it.

I like footnotes. And endnotes. And parenthetical digressions. And subscripts. And pictures. And italics. And smaller, cuter fonts. And mittens.

message 16: by Meen (new)

Meen I adore parentheticals. I use them in my own writing. WAY too much. But it's how I think. (In parentheticals, see.)

message 17: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu Footnotes are waaaay better. I mean, who really wants to spend extra time continuously peaking at the last 15-20 pages of the book to try and make sense of what you're currently reading? I like mittens as well, Jon. Good on ya, mon ami,

message 18: by Cori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cori Sherman North The documentary was good, But-it was different than the book. So you need to experience both fully!

message 19: by Cori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cori Sherman North Wow, fantastic review and thoughts about the topic. This art curator agrees with everything you said, and appreciates the imported photos to cement the history in our minds

Michelle Cori, one day I will read the rest of the book. I read a good bit of it and it was fascinating. What type of art museum do you curate?

message 21: by Cori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cori Sherman North Michelle, mostly university types--worked at KU's Spencer Museum of Art for some years, before going freelance and moving in with new husband (and subsequent Littles) who is curator at K-State's Beach Museum of Art. As an independent, more recently have curated exhibitions for the Albrecht-Kemper Museum in Missouri, and the last show is traveling out to Colorado Springs at the Fine Arts Center next year, too. Am currently involved in a provenance research project for the Beach, just to be sure a couple of their paintings donated were not taken from Germany. So now you know Why i am so interested in the book!

message 22: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine well hopefully it is better than Edsel's book which is very draggy!!