PD's Reviews > The Communist Manifesto

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: audiobook

{listened to audiobook on Librivox}

So, here are a few thoughts from this hearing from a non-expert in every field of study which overlaps with such notions:

1. Marx makes some interesting observations about the greed and exploitive potentiality of humans in a given society (but offers no comfort to me how his propositions correct this). It seems, to me, that his motives and propositions have equal potential for greed and exploitation from another angle. Greed is nasty regardless of the angle, but I prefer your greed to compel you to work harder than me in order to gain equal or more compared to me than your greed compelling you to take what's mine for the greater good. The former greed is more of a transgression of self (perhaps lacking contentment and gratitude) while the latter is a transgression of another (perhaps while envying my neighbor, coveting can lead to theft).

2. At times, I think Marx makes observations using sweeping historical conflations and anachronisms (but I lack necessary knowledge in fields of history, anthropology, political science, and economics to site particular examples). Often it just sounded like sophisticated nonsense.

3. It seems that Marx sees the development of human society (anthropology) through an economic lens instead of seeing the development of economics (and politics) through a foundational understanding of human nature while conveniently dismissing any theological or teleological discussions.

I would be further interested in learning more of Marx' biography; his historical methodology; his thoughts regarding natural law; and his view of human nature to name a few things. It was an interesting book to listen to but I remain unconvinced of his premises and propositions for society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Communist Manifesto.