Laura's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: oprah, recommendation
Read from July 12 to 18, 2012

Was so excited to read this; thankfully, I saw through it as soon as the actual hiking content began and the "I did this because something bad happened; it was so bad" tragedy was over. I find it very sad that she went through such a thing, and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but I felt that opening with that was manipulative, as though she knew that her hike wasn't enough to make a readable story without making us feel really sorry for her first.

She constantly talks about depravation, but she is almost never without her basic needs. The only things that really caused her suffering were her self-imposed pace (if she had simply been camping, she would have been perfectly fine), and the fact that she was too weighted-down with every comfort needed, including entertainment and birth control. I was aghast when she actually gave away food, or turned down gifts of food, for the sole reason that she was sick of eating that particular item. It's like this book straddles the world of civilization-based literature and naturalist literature, not really landing with any import in either.

I guess my opinion boils down to this: Though I can kind of see the point of her going on this walk (which is not for me to judge anyway), I don't see the point of us reading about this walk. Even in Lord Of The Rings, they give you a few side issues to go along with your excessive quantities of walking. ^_^ I wish, as ever, that we had a half-star option; this is not a one-star book, but I feel a little generous giving it two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

07/16/2012 page 69
22.0% "If I had committed a feat of such utter stupidity, I would actively try to hide it from even my closest friends, let alone to an audience of people I expect to pay me for my tale. I hope this woman somehow becomes sympathy inspiring at some point... I'd feel bad about her personal tragedy, but I realized there's really no reason it's more tragic than any other..."
07/17/2012 page 267
85.0% "Well, thank god she mentioned whether or not she masturbated on the trail. That was a very important part of the story."
show 2 hidden updates…