Kim (Sliced Open Reviews)'s Reviews > Chance Encounters

Chance Encounters by J. Sterling

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, requested-review, books-reviewed, 2012-release
Read on July 08, 2012, read count: !

New-Adult Contemporary Romance...YES PLEASE!

I really have overly mixed emotions on this one. It hit every spot that I like in a good Contemporary Romance, even edged into the New Adult. It had a great romance, a great plot and characters with so much potential. The theory between the sparked romance was excellent and what I thought was going to be a complicated love triangle, well was, but didn’t cause me to run screaming the hills. Overall it was a quick refreshing read that was a perfect “in-between” book to give some downtime to my paranormal stacked TBR pile.

Things I loved? I loved the intensity in each relationship. You could feel it all the way down in the pits of your stomach. From the loss of Caroline's college friend, the relationship with her best friend and the relationships with Caroline and Jackson and Caroline and Clay. Being able to convey the depths of relationships between characters can be hit or miss for a lot of authors but this book hit the nail on the head. Providing a deeper sense of emotion behind each aspect of the story.

But there was some “oomph” that was missing. I never quite connected with Caroline, something through the story and writing kept me detached and wanting from her character. In all honesty I really did want to pull her hair out a couple of times, I also really wanted to like her, but just could never fully get to that point. Though, I will say that I absolutely loved Jackson and Clay. Both characters offered so much to the story that it helped to balance out my iffy feelings for Caroline.

The other thing that I really haven’t been able to decide if I loved or hated was the INSTA-LOVE. Ok, so I get the theory between the first meeting but, it was just a little much for me. Or was it? Being a New-Adult romance, I get it. I’ve always been the type to like to go out and enjoy myself, and pending meeting the right person in the right place in the right time, I could possible do a LITTLE of what they did on their first encounter. For me though, it would be in all fun and I think theirs was a bit too passionate for a first meeting. Or maybe I’m just a huge Debbie Downer and disbeliever in love at first sight.

Either way, I enjoyed it; I fell for the romance and both men so makes it a successful Contemporary Romance to me.

Review by Sliced Open Reviews
Source: From Author in exchange for an honest review
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chance Encounters.