Savannah (Books With Bite)'s Reviews > Dark Companion

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Jul 09, 12

Read in July, 2012

I have to say that book lately have been giving me a whole new perspective. Especially this one. What if you had a hard life, I mean a really hard one. One full of abuse, fear, and loneness. And someone offers everything to you. Education, money, a car, all for your blood. Would you take the offer?

I love books like these that really make you think. The reader meets Jane, a foster kid who has a rough life and only for once in her life, wants a break. Jane finds it in a unusual town with a strange fetish. Now, when I got to this part I was all like,"WHAT?" Just looking from the outside in, the offering is tempting. Jane has been through it all and as the reader being heaving invested in Jane's life, wanted nothing but something good for her. She fought for normalcy and she should get it.

The plot of the book is strange yet addicting. I like watching Jane become more aware of herself. She learned more about her past but also is introduced into a community would love and care for her if she accepted them. This part is where it gets tricky for me. As I read through this part, I felt as though Jane is like a wounded gazelle, and the community around her is using her weakness to their advantage. *shrugs shoulders* That's the way I interpreted it.

There is a love interest that grows over time and I adore it. I like that he didn't force his way into her life, but was simply there for her. He helped her look at things differently, when she failed to see it any other way. I admire that he took each step with her slowly. To not only gain her trust, but tot truly love her.

Dark Companion is a dark, edgy tale that quickly consumes the reader. A new twist on strange addictions, Dark Companion is unique yet intensifying!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Companion.

07/04/2012 page 109