Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Diary of a Dead Man

Diary of a Dead Man by Walter Krumm

Oct 28, 2008

bookshelves: review-copy, read-in-2009, released
Read in January, 2009

Diary of a Dead Man by Walter Krumm over the weekend as a way to escape from the monotony of having a cold and having not slept well. It was the perfect entertainment for a weekend lie in.

Cameron "Cam" Taylor gets an unsolicited instant message and after many weeks of chatting and exchanging photographs decides to meet his online paramour for an in person for an affair. What he finds instead is the body of his would-be lover lying on the bed of their hotel room. How Cam reacts sets in play a spiral of events that drives the breakneck pace of this thriller.

What sets Diary of a Dead Man apart from other "cyber-thrillers" I've read or even more traditional frame-ups, is Cam's honesty. Throughout the novel he admits to the reader (and himself) his failings and better yet, comes clean early on with his wife. So often thrillers depend on the main characters not talking to each other to keep the plot plodding along. The antagonists: Emily the femme fatale and Dexter her foil do fall into the "no talking" trap.

The one thing that kept me guessing throughout was the relevance of the title. Each chapter starts with an excerpt from Cam's diary and his transformation into a fugitive. There are so many ways for him to become the dead man of the title and frankly the one Krumm chooses for Cam Taylor took me by surprise. I'm not going to tell you because I don't want to spoil it for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Dead Man.

01/15/2009 page 20
7.97% "Cheesy but enjoyable."
01/16/2009 page 54
21.51% "Nemesis... giggle."
01/16/2009 page 109
43.43% "Tee hee I'm guessing right."