Donna's Reviews > Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife

Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer

Jul 08, 12

Read in July, 2012

I've read other books about polygamy and the lifestyle but this is the first one that actually told the realistic day-to-day life of a "sister wife." The author was honest about her feelings and the severe poverty and emotional turmoil of living this kind of lifestyle. Though I was frustrated with her for choosing this life when she had other options, I found myself feeling great compassion for her and for her husband (though I didn't want to) because he was as much a pawn caught up in this false religion as she was. I could also sympathize with the abject poverty and feelings of hopelessness she described and I'm sure she wasn't alone in those feelings. She didn't seem to have a close connection to the other wives, to her husband, to other women in the religion, because of the constant fear of having to share her husband yet again. It was a good book and one I would recommend if you are trying to understand why and how people get caught up in what most of us would find to be "crazy" religious practices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Dreams.