Jill's Reviews > Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed

3820197
Dec 04, 2013

bookshelves: historical-romance-european
Read in August, 2012

When Sidonie Forsythe's sister, Roberta cannot pay the gaming debts owing to Jonas Merrick, Sidonie comes up with a plan. She offers herself in payment. Jonas Merrick is a bastard, and rich. There is no love lost between him and his cousin William, Sidonie's brother-in-law. But Jonas proposes a new bargain. If Sidonie spends another six nights at the Castle with him, Jonas will write off her sister's debts.

The opening scene as the heroine arrives at the forbidding Castle Craven on the South Devon Coast is fantastic, evocative. After that wonderful, initial scene the gothic atmosphere loses some of its momentum, swallowed up in the romance and love scenes for the longest time. However, it was the second half of the book that the story really came alive for me and I enjoyed immensely. There was way more happening with the focus no longer on just Jonas and Sidonie.

I had thought Jonas was going to be a dark, sinister lord-of-the-gothic-manor type. He's a bit of a loner in an out-of-the-way mansion. He is reputedly ruthless and has a scarred, unattractive face. But I thought he was a nice guy and not particularly scary or mean. He was sensitive, kind and understanding.

Though I enjoyed this novel, there were a few things that didn’t quite make sense to me. (view spoiler) However, the story and romance was enough for me to overlook these few quibbles.

The writing as you'd expect from Anna Campbell is polished and smooth. In the first half the romance was lovely with two likable leads. And the sexy times were steamy and delicious. We meet two more bastards - Cam Rothermere and Richard Harmsworth - whom I'm guessing will be the heroes in following books.

Overall, Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed is a very good story and a great beginning to a new series.

Steam: 3.5

ARC courtesy of Grand Central Publishing (Forever) via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-44 of 44) </span> <span class="smallText">(44 new)</span>

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Good and honest review, Jill.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nice review, Jill!

Jill @ Kristen, Jessica & Baba
Thankyou!

message 5: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Fab review Jilly! I've yet to read some Anna Campbell books at home. I hear she's quite good with her HR. Well I guess, by the looks of this she is. :)

Jill Wendy wrote: "Fab review Jilly! I've yet to read some Anna Campbell books at home. I hear she's quite good with her HR. Well I guess, by the looks of this she is. :)"

Thanks Wen! And yes, she's a very good writer, although I didn't enjoy her first book that much.

Lisa Great review! I enjoyed this one as well :)

Jill Lisa wrote: "Great review! I enjoyed this one as well :)"

Thanks Lisa!

message 9: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Great review Jill but this sort of book is really not my thing.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Becs wrote: "Great review Jill but this sort of book is really not my thing."

Thanks Becs. Do you mean because it's historical?

message 11: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ I do read some historicals but usually they'd need to be more warrior-style novels rather than high society ones.

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Becs wrote: "I do read some historicals but usually they'd need to be more warrior-style novels rather than high society ones."

Gotcha!

message 13: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Great review Jilly....Am looking forward to getting my hands on this!

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dee wrote: "Great review Jilly....Am looking forward to getting my hands on this!"

Thanks DD! You'll love it!

message 15: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Jill wrote: "Dee wrote: "Great review Jilly....Am looking forward to getting my hands on this!"

Thanks DD! You'll love it!"

I did try to get it from Netgalley but Grand Central Publishing don't like me :( They do approve some but majority of the time my requests are refused. Will just have to wait until it is released.

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dee wrote: "Jill wrote: "Dee wrote: "Great review Jilly....Am looking forward to getting my hands on this!"

Thanks DD! You'll love it!"

I did try to get it from Netgalley but Grand Central Publishing don't l..."

Or, just request it from NG again after release.
And don't worry DD, GCP are always miserly with their approvals.

message 17: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Jill wrote: "Or, just request it from NG again after release. And don't worry DD, GCP are always miserly with their approvals. .."

Yeah I could do....In the past I have only ever been approved after a couple of requests but it just gets so frustrating really....Sometimes I really can't be bothered to keep trying and find it easier to wait until it released!

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dee wrote: "Jill wrote: "Or, just request it from NG again after release. And don't worry DD, GCP are always miserly with their approvals. .."

Yeah I could do....In the past I have only ever been approved aft..."

I know it can get annoying and a bit disheartening when they refuse you. Anyway, if you get it at its release date, it's worth the wait.

message 19: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Q Just saw this on Netalley. I haven't read her yet, but it sounds like one I might like!

message 20: by Elis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elis Madison Great review, Jill! Can't wait to read!

Crista Hi Jill!
Thanks for this great review! I'm headed over to Netgalley to request it now!

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Jenny
Hope you enjoy it, Jenny!

@ Elis
Thanks Elis! Look forward to your thoughts.

@ Crista
Thankyou Crista. Hope you get an ARC!

message 23: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Wonderful review Jilly!

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Jilly!"

Thanks KatLynne!

message 25: by Elis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elis Madison K, for some reason this showed up as new on my list again. Hmmm. I thought it looked familiar!

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Elis wrote: "K, for some reason this showed up as new on my list again. Hmmm. I thought it looked familiar!"

You need to edit, so you don't get more notifications about this one, Elis.

message 27: by Elis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elis Madison How does one do that? My email gets spammed, between this, FB and Twitter.

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill If you no longer want to follow a particular thread like this one -

click on 'edit' where it says 'You are following this discussion'. Then click on 'none'. And you'll get no further notifications for this thread.

If you want to decrease or stop emails completely -

Click on 'edit' where it says 'My Profile' on your Profile page. This will bring you to 'My Account' and click on 'emails'. From there you'll be able to edit which emails you want to receive, if any.

message 29: by Elis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elis Madison Thanks!! Tho I will follow awhile, just cuz the convo is interesting...

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Some day I'm gonna read Campbell. People seem to love her. This sounds good!

message 31: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen❄ wrote: "Some day I'm gonna read Campbell. People seem to love her. This sounds good!"

She is good, Kathleen....although I didn't like her debut. :)

message 32: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen GtK, J. ;)

Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera* Great review, Jill! I have not read this but I've read the second in her series, and quite liked that one. :)

message 34: by Feminista (new)

Feminista Lovely review Jill!

message 35: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Mary wrote: "Great review, Jill! I have not read this but I've read the second in her series, and quite liked that one. :)"

@ Mary
Thanks Mary! See you've read it since and glad you loved it! :)

message 36: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Feminista wrote: "Lovely review Jill!"

@ Feminista
Thankyou! :)

Duchess Nicole Heya, Jill, do you think I'd like this? I was lucky enough to get an ARC of the third book but I'm thinking I might want to read the first two in the series first.

Duchess Nicole Never mind...starting it now, lol. I need a good HR.

message 39: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Duchess Nicole wrote: "Never mind...starting it now, lol. I need a good HR."

Oh sorry, Nicole....I'm at work today, and just popping in every now and then to GR. But yes, I think you would enjoy this. I haven't read anymore in this series though. But AC is a very good writer.

Duchess Nicole No biggie! I wasn't trying to be impatient. I'm just now sitting down to start it. Lady Danielle rec'd AC to me about the same time she rec'd Anne Stuart, and she's an absolute favorite of mine, so I bet I'll like this. Have a good day at work!!

message 41: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Duchess Nicole wrote: "No biggie! I wasn't trying to be impatient. I'm just now sitting down to start it. Lady Danielle rec'd AC to me about the same time she rec'd Anne Stuart, and she's an absolute favorite of mine,..."

AC's first book had the H as a gamma...unfortunately for me he was also a rapist which didn't work. But if you don't mind that little hiccup, the first book of hers might also be a good fit.

Have a good day at work!!
You're a funny lady! :)....but I'll try.

Duchess Nicole Oh, how I wish I could find a good gif or pic for a rape hiccup, lol.

If it was Untouched, I think that's the one she rec'd. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. I'll read this series first. Not so sure how I feel about rape. I was pretty shocked at how blatant it was in The Black Lyon. TWICE! It did not endear me to the hero at all, and I have to say, a woman who can forgive/forget that sort of thing better have a damn good reason.

message 43: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Duchess Nicole wrote: "Oh, how I wish I could find a good gif or pic for a rape hiccup, lol.

It was Claiming the Courtesan and here's a link to Fani's review which pretty much spells out my opinion as well.

But hero-as-rapist is a big NO-NO!! for me...esp those oldies from the 80s and 90s. If there was a good reason...like there ever is, but you know, the H is drunk or whatever...I can maybe forgive him then...maybe, depending on how well the author writes it.

message 44: by Didi (new)

Didi Great review Jill! :)