Katie's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Oct 12, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, favorites
Read from October 04 to 12, 2012

OKAY, so this book is just FUN. This is contemporary, not futuristic, but it reminds me of Ready Player One in that way. Both books are just full of adventure and people who are excited about things! And I like that. I like to see people excited. If you find something that makes you feel that way, that's a GOOD THING, whether it's a book, a tv show, an idea, a boy band, whatever.

This is also a love letter to books in all forms. Physical books are great, but so are ereaders! The old world is incredible and we can use technology to understand it even better. Really, this book is a lot about the coming together of the old and the new and how you don't have to choose! That the combination of the two can lead to all kinds of wonderful things. Combinations of people, too. It's about the exchange of ideas and bringing people with different skills together.

So, yes. Definite rec for this book. It's a smooth read, too. I mostly put it down only when I had to . . . and when I got scared of reading more because I didn't want it to be over!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

10/04/2012 page 58
19.0% "So many quotable lines! And this kind of reminds me of Ready Player One in terms of sheer, geeky fun."
10/05/2012 page 130
42.0% "So this is a love letter to old books AND technology."
10/07/2012 page 176
57.0% "Right. This has become one of those books I'm ignoring because I don't want it to be over."

Katie Just read the short story that the book grew out of. SO INTO IT. Think I might just preorder it when I get home. In hard copy because it glows in the dark.

Andree It glows in the dark. I WANT IT.

Katie I love the commentary from the first link:

Normally I’d tell you to go for the e-book edition, but… this book glows in the dark.

I MAY NEVER HAVE AGREED WITH SOMETHING MORE!

Andree I know! That is just COOL. (And I am a child sometimes. Whatever)

steph I WANT IT

Katie I PRE-ORDERED IT, BUT I WANT IT NOOOOOOW!

Grace AHHHH. YAY! I'm picking this up from the library tomorrow.

Katie :D It was really great! I'll probably have a review up in a few hours. Just a little sluggish today.

steph Still waiting on my library to get it in....boo.

message 10: by Edna (new) - added it

Edna I saw a person mention this was a mix of The Night Circus and The Shadow of the Wind with a touch of Ready Player One. Makes my eyes pop because I love all those novels.

Katie Edna, I haven't read the other two, but I've been comparing it to Ready Player One! Same sort of just plain FUN.

message 12: by Edna (new) - added it

Edna The Night Circus is fantastical while The Shadow of the Wind is a love letter to bibliophiles. Just very "pretty" books, the type with flowery, detailed descriptions. Yay for fun! I've been looking for some fiction novels like that.

Katie HM, I wouldn't call this flowery at all, but it's definitely a love letter to bibliophiles. :D

message 14: by Edna (new) - added it

Edna That's good enough for me. :) I'll look out for it next time I'm at the bookstore.

Katie Just posted my review, although I'm not sure I managed to say anything I haven't already, lol.