Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Kingmaker's Daughter

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: europe, historical-fiction
Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

This is the fourth book in a historical fiction series that looks at the Cousins' War from the perspectives of different women of the era. The White Queen is told from Elizabeth Woodville's perspective (York), The Red Queen from Margaret Beauford (Henry VII's mother - Lancaster), The Lady of Rivers is from Elizabeth Woodville's mother Jacquetta of Luxembourg, and now we look at the Cousins' War from the perspective of Anne Neville (married to Lancaster and York men). The next book in the series will be from the perspective of Elizabeth of York (who marries Henry Tudor, uniting the Lancaster and York lines).

The amazing thing is that the many plots, secret alliances, and changing sides and colors - the part you think must be made up because no one could get away with being a traitor this many times - is all true. The books are written on excellent historical basis, and follow the timelines of the many twists and turns of the War of the Roses.

I'm also enjoying seeing the war from opposing sides - and the personalities that have been given to these historical women which lead to the reasons that they may have lead to these alliances, and changes of the guard.

The reason it gets 3 stars instead of 4 is purely on redundancy. The fourth time we're going through the same set of circumstances can lead to a bit of glazed overness. I know where things are going at this point, and I found myself waiting for her to finally get on the throne, to watch Richard's reign fall apart.

I'm really looking forward to Elizabeth of York's perspective. In all of these books she has been mysterious, beautiful, charming, and no one really knows what drives her. So I can't wait to see that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingmaker's Daughter.