Chad's Reviews > True Colors

True Colors by Karen Traviss

M_50x66
Nov 23, 08

Recommended for: star wars fans
Read in November, 2008

This was far superior to the previous book in the Republic Commando series. Characters are given clear and interesting challenges to overcome, and the cast size is kept more manageable. Traviss' characterizations have improved, too. For the first time I genuinely felt like all four of the Omega clones have distinct personalities. A few points are beaten on with too much repetition (we shouldn't treat people like things, and Omega Squad is very Mandalorian, we get it!), and I do think the book wouldn't be hurt if it dropped 50 pages. But I was still genuinely interested to see where the story was going and kept glued to the page.

While the series' first book could be read by anyone and enjoyed (die hard Star Wars fan or not), True Colors doesn't pass that test. It's very heavily embedded in the mythology of the franchise. But in a good way! For fans, this book adds some fascinating details to the prequels, and raises interesting questions which really should have been addressed in the movies.

Yes, Episodes 1-3 were largely terrible. But the best thing they accomplished was creating the Clone Wars as a setting for stories like this. I'm moving on to book #4 shortly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.