James's Reviews > The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams

The New Rules of Lifting For Life by Lou Schuler

Jul 08, 12

Not a bad book especially if you're not an experienced lifter. For those who've been at this a while, there was nothing new.

My expectation was to read some discussion of modifications to one's routine necessary as an accommodation to age or injury, but beyond the perfunctory "you can't lift as much weight as you did when you were younger," there wasn't much.

I'll admit to scanning portions of the text that seemed repetitive or unnecessary, so it's possible I missed information older lifters should be aware of, like the propensity of certain muscles to tear away from their insertion points and how to avoid it (no more heavy bench presses!).

One nit-pick: I found the constant third person references to Alwyn off-putting.

Overall, I suspect if you've read one book in the series, that should be sufficient. If not, this title is likely as good as any.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Rules of Lifting For Life.