Alan's Reviews > Red Cavalry

Red Cavalry by Isaac Babel

Jul 09, 09

bookshelves: short-stories
Read in January, 1982

Absolutely stunning. Babel is a favourite of mine, up near the top.

Read an article today (July 09) about him on Narrative:

made me want to go and dig out my copy immediately. (I will when I get home from work).
I notice no friends have this on GR. I can't believe none have read him. Is it because it's so obvious it doesn't need saying? (or maybe the comments are on another edition, I've noticed that in the past).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Cavalry.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John One of the gems of the century, this one -- cuts Hemingway's war stuff like a diamond shreds cubic zirconium.

Alan 'tis John, it is. Whacks a punch that'll have you reeling, but with such care and economy and zest and humanity and skill.
A page of his stuff is worth a novel of most writers.
Glad you agree.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Salter on Babel -- that should be a gem. Thanks for tip. Did you see that Babel's widow, Antonina Pirozhkova, died recently at age 101. She wrote a memoir re IB, "At His Side: The Last Years of Isaac Babel," but I haven't had chance to check it out yet.

The only Hemingway war story that approaches B's work, I think, is "In Another Country."

Alan it's great to hear from another Babelite. I'll check out his widow's memoir..

Alan ..err not at over 30 quid (50 dollars?) for a second hand copy. I'll order it on inter-library loans - if they can get it..

message 6: by Tom (last edited Nov 23, 2010 06:00AM) (new)

Tom Whoa nellie! I usually check that info right off. Must be a university press. They're usually outrageously over-priced. I know our campus library has it, so ILL should be able to fetch you a copy.

Or check AbeBooks or Alibris, online used book sites. I've found great deals through them over the years.