Sandra Stiles's Reviews > Knee Deep

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, young-adult
Read in July, 2012

This is a book every teenage girl and boy should read. I’ve known 8th grade girls in relationships that turned ugly like this. We as teachers suspected it was an abusive relationship but between guidance and parent conferences we were powerless. We were told that we were reading more into the situations. Then she ended up with a broken wrist. She still thought it was her fault.

Ronnie, as a teen thinks she has found Mr. Right at the age of fourteen. Teens are so fickle there is no way they could know at that age who they are made for. Because of this belief system, when the relationship turns abusive she takes credit for it. I’ve seen this behavior before. It is hard to understand, but they are convinced the abuse is their fault.

The author has done a wonderful job with all of the characters. They are very believable. The way they respond to each other is spot on. I would have liked to see the mother more involved with the situation. I felt she was pretty much oblivious.

I loved the way the book ended, because it gives teens hope. This is not a feel good book, nor is it an easy subject. I applaud this author and rank her up there with authors like Laurie Halse Anderson and Jay Asher who willingly take on the much needed to be discussed, tough topics. I will definitely look for more work by this author. I will also recommend it highly to my students and parents.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knee Deep.