Erik Erickson's Reviews > The Adventures of Blanche

The Adventures of Blanche by Rick Geary

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fiction, comics
Read on July 08, 2012

I went into this assuming it was all historical fact, like everything else Geary has written. The author's introduction to the box of letters found in his grandmother's attic only confirmed my assumption. I thought the cult in the first story was fascinating but my first clue that this might not be factual was the tentacle monster. However, I brushed it aside for the moment as surely Blanche herself could have been very confused about what really happened. Then I found it astonishing that she was working with D.W. Griffith in Hollywood. 'What an amazing life!' I thought. My suspension of disbelief was eventually eroded completely by the last story. It's either impressive or sad that it took that long for me to realize this might be Geary's first fictional work.

While it was neat to see all of the different historical figures woven into the outlandish adventures of a midwest concert pianist in the early 20th century, ultimately the book is disappointing since none of it is real. I read Geary because he's so good at historical non-fiction comics, I have little interest in something he might make up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Blanche.