Li's Reviews > The Enchantment Emporium

Jul 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2010, series, urban-fantasy, fantasy
Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

This one took me by surprise by being an urban fantasy - based on the title and random blurbs I had read, I expected it to be high fantasy.

I loved how the story made me think and fit the pieces together myself - there was no info-dumping and I felt the author trusted that the reader was smart enough to connect the dots. Unusual by being a standalone story in itself (though I've since read Ms Huff has sold another book in the same world - yay!), and it was a well-told one, with sly humour threaded throughout. I'm not entirely sure the world-building would stand up to close scrutiny - me, I'm curious about inbreeding myself, though there was a throwaway remark about how this was managed by the "aunties".

Also, worth mentioning that this is very different from Ms Huff's military SF body of work - sometimes, an author's voice is so distinctive that it comes through in every book they write. I never once thought about her SF works (or any of her other books, come to that) when reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantment Emporium.