Катя Czaja's Reviews > The Death Cure

Jul 08, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ya, dystopian, reviewed
Read from July 08 to 11, 2012

Although I did not love The Scorch Trials (book 2), I waited impatiently for The Death Cure because I was eager to have questions answered. Let’s recap some of the questions I had at the end of Book 2:
Why would Tom and Theresa subject themselves and other children to these horrible trials?
How much of what we are learning is real vs lies vs fabricated memories?
Is WICKED really good?
What is really happening in the outside world?

The last question was answered. The others, no so much. Unlike the first two books which were plotted pretty tightly and pulled me along, this book got off to a slow start. It took me 2 weeks to read the first 120 pages and I almost abandoned the book.

There were plot holes. While half of the characters got their memories back… no discussion ever happened between the character that did or didn’t that provided any insight into the motivations and methods of Wicked. The relationship between Thomas and Theresa led nowhere. So much so that when (view spoiler) there was virtually no mention of the event or (view spoiler).

At the end of 3 books I still feel like I know nothing about Thomas, Theresa, Brenda, Minho, and Newt. I don’t mourn those that died. I didn’t cheer for the deus-ex-machina ending. (view spoiler).

I started reading this series because my son’s reading teacher recommended it and my son read the first chapter and didn’t like it. When my son asks if he should give this series a second chance, I will tell him to give it a pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death Cure.

message 1: by Kellee (new) - added it

Kellee Uh oh. Why two stars?

Катя Czaja Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed with the ending to this series... I wanted more answers and more of Thomas and Theresa's history. I'll get the full review up sometimes this week.

message 3: by Kellee (new) - added it

Kellee Katya wrote: "Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed with the ending to this series... I wanted more answers and more of Thomas and Theresa's history. I'll get the full review up sometimes this week."

Kill Order might answer some more of it. Are you going to read it?

Катя Czaja I'm not sure. I think I may wait to see what other people think of it. If it answers questions, I might read it but I am not waiting impatiently for it like I was with Death Cure.

I'll be curious to see what you think of Death Cure. It's on your TBR pile this week, isn't it?

message 5: by Kellee (new) - added it

Kellee Katya wrote: "I'm not sure. I think I may wait to see what other people think of it. If it answers questions, I might read it but I am not waiting impatiently for it like I was with Death Cure.

I'll be curious..."

Probably in two weeks, but soon :)
I'll let you know.