Staci's Reviews > The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castile

The Queen's Vow by C.W. Gortner

Jul 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from July 07 to 09, 2012

I know that I've been swept away into a wonderful story when my dreams are filled with the characters from the book that I'm currently reading and this was the case while I read The Queen's Vow. As soon as I would wake up in the morning I grabbed my book and raced through the pages anxious to find out if Isabella would succeed as Queen of Castile. Her story intrigued me and Gortner made her so real to me that it was hard to put the book down until I was finished. While not everything is historically accurate, I felt that the author created a tale that brought to light the tenacity and perserverance of a woman who many underestimated and thought would fail as ruler of Spain. I took away a better understanding of the pressures that she was under and how she did allow her unwavering allegiance to her religion to influence how she dealt with the Jewish population of Castile at the time. I loved how the author encapsulated her life and really took the time to flesh out her story; how she grew up, the hardships she endured, the love she felt for her husband, children, and close friends.

Recommend? To all historical fiction fans...YES! I enjoyed this book so much and will be reading Gortner's other two novels for sure. His writing flows easily and he has a gift for creating a story that captures your interest and imagination!

Disclaimer:Thank you to Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.

Review Book #20

© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Vow.