Lady Lioness's Reviews > Dangerously Close

Dangerously Close by Dee J. Adams

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: ebook, read-july-2012, genre-romantic-suspense, subgenre-famous-heroes-or-heroines
Read on July 08, 2012, read count: 1

Famous rock musician hero, how could I resist? This was a bit out of norm as it's not a contemporary, but a romantic suspense. The hero's occupation as a rock star was almost incidental. He could have just as easily been an actor or a writer and, with a few minor alterations, the story wouldn't have really been affected.

There were two things that made this book stand out for me. One, the Big Bad was clearly delineated and also very bat-shit crazy. Adams switched occasionally to the Big Bad's POV and the reader got to watch as the villain spiraled deeper into insanity. What was interesting to me is that the Big Bad started off very clever, but the crazier they got, the more mistakes they started to make. I thought that was a fairly realistic de-evolution. The other unique-ish part was how Adams handled the heroine's blindness. The role the blindness played in the book was fairly cliched, but the way the heroine approached her disability was not. She didn't flail about and cry 'woe is me,' or stubbornly live like always, firmly in denial. No, she basically said, 'I really, really hope this isn't permanent, but, in the meantime, I have to be able to live my life.' She hired a companion to teach her how to cope, started to learn braille, and tried like hell to adapt to her new limitations. I had a great deal of respect for her.

I didn't like the hero as much, but I think that stemmed more from personal preference than flaws with the characterization. He came off a little wishy-washy to me, but not every male is going to be an alpha male and sometimes you're gonna get a hero who doesn't like confrontation. Different strokes for different folks, etc.

Dangerously Close worked really well as a stand-alone. I haven't read any of the previous books in the series, having snagged this one from NetGalley. There is some minor references back to the second book, Danger Zone, but I was able to follow along very easily. I definitely recommend this if you're looking for a light romantic suspense for vacation this summer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerously Close.