CuteBadger's Reviews > A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar

A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson

Jul 08, 12

Read in July, 2012

In the 1920s sisters Eva and Lizzie join missionary Millicent on a trip to Kashgar on the Silk Route to save souls. However things go wrong as soon as they arrive, which leaves them in danger. In present-day London Frieda, an expert on the Arabic world, is bequeathed the possessions of an unknown woman and must try to find out how she and the deceased are connected.

It's quite common for contemporary novels to have a dual narrative, with two stories going on which may not immediately seem connected, but in this book I didn't feel that the format was entirely successful. I was much more interested in Eva's story than in Frieda's and wanted more of the former and less of the latter. In particular I'd have liked more about Eva's later life, rather then the tiny bit we're given here.

The book has a lot to say about women's lives, the freedoms we have and the freedoms we give up on occasion.

I did enjoy the book and read it pretty much in one long sitting, but would have enjoyed it more without the modern-day sections.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar.