stephanie's Reviews > Why Americans Still Don't Vote: And Why Politicians Want It That Way

Why Americans Still Don't Vote by Frances Fox Piven

Jul 27, 07

bookshelves: poli-sci
Read in October, 2002

i read this for my social democracy seminar, and it ended up being the basis of my term paper that semester on the youth vote.

then i started actually giving copies of this book to my friends who said they didn't vote for various reasons, but was finally told that was annoying. (hah!) but the thing is, i absolutely believe the thesis of this book, which basically was proven in the 2004 election. and not only that, it assures that people will stay in power unless people get "angry enough" (remember, this was written before 9/11) and that this benefits republicans more than democrats, because angry liberals tend to do things like donate to greenpeace rather than work the polling sites.

it's a fascinating slice of american life and the way we are manipulated, even when we say we aren't going to be part of the system that is manipulating us. one of the most influential books i've read, and the reason i vote in every single election that i can.

also: frances fox piven: genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Americans Still Don't Vote.