Margaret Mary's Reviews > A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for Planning a Beautiful, Affordable, and Meaningful Celebration

A Practical Wedding by Meg Keene

Jul 08, 12

Read in July, 2012

The main (and oft repeated) message of this book is to forget what everyone is trying to sell you as "tradition" and assess what your really want. The big, white dress, overpriced reception, huge wedding parties with matching clothes, etc. are all fairly recent developments and this book helps you identify what's important to you. Great message!

What I thought was lacking was pretty much any information on a wedding held in a church, especially in a liturgical wedding. My guess is (1) that kind of stuff doesn't sell as well and (2) those people don't need as much help, since so much is already set.

Anyway, the rationale here is useful if you're willing to skim the "ceremony in the woods with my partner while we were married by our whole community" kind of stuff.

She also has a site with some great, really practical details on it. (apracticalwedding.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Practical Wedding.