Courtney's Reviews > A Local Habitation

A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: kindle, mine
Read from July 07 to 08, 2012

yes, Toby is a shit detective, I think anyone who reads this series (at least through this book) can agree on that. I just don't really care. I mean, I do -- I really need her to wake the fuck up, especially where Tybalt is concerned -- but for the purposes of these novels, her being so oblivious just made me like the books more. don't get me wrong, I wanted to slap some sense into her nearly every other chapter, but it was entertaining to watch her stumble around, knowing she was trying so damn hard. that's not a glowing recommendation of this book, or this series, and I know it, but what I really enjoyed about this series is knowing Toby's so innately good and genuinely wants to help, even when she hates it and doesn't want to. even when it would be smarter and / or safer to abandon ship, she doesn't. call me a lover of stupid characters, but Toby is endearing. she might not all be as smart as Seanan allows the reader to be, but that's okay, because all the characters are interesting with all their flaws. that, combined with excellent world building, will keep me reading this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Local Habitation.