Aleeda's Reviews > 72 Hour Hold

Jul 08, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-read
Read in June, 2011

While the story as a plot is compelling and different, the character development was not as strong, and this made the story less satisfying. Keri is the mother of 18-year old Trina, who suffers from bipolar disorder, making Trina violent and unpredictable. Keri finds that Trina can only be placed on a 72-hold, after which time she is released if she does not show signs that she will harm herself. Keri is determined to save her daughter and finds an illegal (and highly improbable) solution.

While I understand by any means necessary interventions and that a parent will do almost anything to save their child, the story ignores the fact that Keri has means and options. Additionally, while we are given a glimpse of the mental health system, Ms. Campbell leads one to believe there is no alternative option but the kidnapping of her child. I found it hard to believe that Keri would not have questioned her daughter's erratic behavior and educated herself about her daughter's diagnosis.

The one thing I will give this book credit for is discussing how mental health issues are handled by African American families. Hopefully the book will lead to more open discussion and prompt people to seek treatment and not hide in shame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 72 Hour Hold.