Emily's Reviews > I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America after Twenty Years Away

I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

Jul 08, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

I found this being used to prop up the mosquito coil in our house in Woleai, and thought, "What serendipity! I'm living abroad, and would love to read another's cultural insights on the U.S." Wrong. Well, I *would* love to read about American culture, but that's not what these essays were about. Maybe only three of them address this in a meaningful way. The rest are composed of zany factoids, like statistics on all the different ways Americans injure themselves in their houses. I would give it only two stars, but for some occasionally truly funny writing.

P.S. I am intrigued by the pre-internet book divide--like when you're reading along, and it becomes painfully obvious that a book was written before the internet became what it is today. This was written in the late nineties, and he might mention email in here, but it is horribly 'dated.' I wonder which year it was when we crossed the internet threshold--was it 2000? 2001? The year they first allowed you to file taxes online? Thoughts, anyone?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm a Stranger Here Myself.