Claire's Reviews > Whispers Under Ground

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Jul 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, urban-fantasy

Did Ben Aaronovitch decide to make the victim an art student for reasons of plot or just so he could amuse us gen x's with this:

"Well our victim had a thirst for knowledge," said Stephanopoulos. "He was a student at St. Martin's College"

On a high from reading this I almost gave it 5 stars but a night of reflection has dropped it to 4 1/2 stars. It should definitely be read in series order as you need the background from the first two books but Aaronovitch is really at home in his fictional London now and the prose just flows. He's very amusing too with lots of geek references to catch. The hero is unusual in that he is partly West African which adds a great flavour to the books (and not just references to the yummy cuisine) and there are lots of good female parts too. The idea of a typically British (ie slightly shambolic and ad hoc) police department specialising in magic really appeals to me and there are lots of directions for the series to go in.

The slight weakness for me was that the murder mystery ended up with an Agatha Christie ending - I'm not going to say any more than that. Other than that it was a thoroughly enjoyable book; one of my favourites of the year so far.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers Under Ground.