Sarah Emily's Reviews > The Giving Tree

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Jul 27, 07

bookshelves: books-that-make-me-rage
Recommended for: most certainly not children

this book has made me angry for as long as I can remember, although it took me years to realize what it was that I was angry about. I'm not really sure how this book was ever heralded as a story of love and beauty.

I do, however, find this Amazon review of The Giving Tree to be a thing of love and beauty:

"My name is Noah and I celebrate the Jew holiday called Tubishvat. Tubishvat is all about trees and this book respects tress so I respect it. Trees kick booty. All of the time. I like green trees the most. I like pine trees and birch trees. Im also allergic to birch trees. I like to celebrate the trees in Tubishvat. Once I paid to get a tree planted in Israel on Tubishvat. My parents are dead! When they used to celbrate the trees they planted trees in Israel! Now if I wanna plant a tree in Israel it gets bombed! Oy gavalt! I also like gefilte fish cause I'm a Jew. I eat it on Passover and Tubishvat."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giving Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kirkley the jew review is quality.

however, i too hated this book as a kid and didn't figure out why til i thought about reading it to my class last year. then i realized it was all about destroying the environment and chopping down the people that love us. chopping down people is NOT nice.