Myonlycookie's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in July, 2012

I must say, this is my favorite so far in the Alex Craft series.

Reeaally quick plot summary: Alex and her best friend Rianna officially open their detective agency (mentioned in books 1&2). Their first case is to investigate a series of mysterious suicides that Alex does not think are suicides. (But how can this be?!)

Pros: I felt like the world was finally settling down and all the complicated architecture Price set up in the first two books was cemented. My biggest critique of book 2 was that all the new info we got about Faerie, etc., was too much and not clearly explained. However, now the rules of the world feel familiar.

Alex also felt more competent in this book, and the fact that she goes blind all the time didn't bother me as much. Maybe personal preference, but she went blind so much in the last book, it irked me. It seemed like a fallback obstacle. Here she's able to think ahead and deal with her blindness in a way that feels real.

Death. Oh my god, I love that character. I'm so glad we got more of him in the book. I like him better than Falin, but I have a feeling that Death and Alex are just *too* forbidden. I wish there was a way they could be together.

And the mystery. I really liked it. I don't want to spoil anything, but it was definitely compelling, interesting, and kept me reading until the end. I'm mixed about the resolution (I do not trust their ultimate solution to the problem), but the author knows the world rules better than I do.

Cons: I didn't like much of the love triangle. Well, I didn't like how Alex mostly described her feelings. Since the two men are largely absent (problem), most of what Alex does is ruminate on how complicated her feelings are, how much it hurts, how it's difficult, etc. The "big scenes" with the two men (with Falin in Faerie, and with Death *ahem* in her room) were much more striking than the rambling paragraphs of romance anxiety.

Left with a big cliffhanger, so I hope it doesn't take long for the next book to come out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.