Amanda The Book Slayer's Reviews > The Siren

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: erotica, bdsm
Read on July 15, 2012

Rated : 4.5 Stars

Recommendation :If you enjoy BDSM books you should really give this one a try. Tiffany Reisz is a compelling author and I think most people would find something they love about this book.

Now Let me illustrate what I hear a lot of about this book:

description

It is true. This book has taken every last one of my ideas on what is Taboo and written it into her characters and plot. I kid you not. Tiffany is limitless in the amount of shocking surprises this book has. But like quite a few of us in the reading world… I loved it!

The thing about this book is once you start you just can’t stop reading. Tiffany has a way of dragging you in by the hair and tying you down till you finish. You will definatly come away beaten but satisfied.

[image error]

“Don’t judge a book by its mother. Just read.”

This is not your standard erotica, at least not anymore. It is dark, twisted and will shock you all the while your heart is being torn into pieces.

Why don’t I let Nora explain:

“It’s kind of a love story. Not my usual boy-meets-girl, boy-beats-girl story. My two characters love each other but they don’t belong together. The whole book is them-against their will-breaking up.”

Thank you Nora. Now I will also add in that this is the first book where I felt any connection to a Sadist. Don’t run and hide yet. You probably saw The Davinci Code right? Okay so instead of the the man being a masachist he is a sadist. Yes, I will let you in on a secret, Soren lived with Jesuit Priests. Which I think goes a long way in explaining why Søren is the way he is.

But this book isn’t about Søren, it’s about Nora and well her hunky editor and boy-toy assistant/resident. You heard right. I was not lying about everything being Taboo.

Shall I count the ways this book shocked me?

1. Søren, the Priest, is not only a sadist but had a very long on going Master/slave relationship with Nora! If you don’t know what a sadist is really you should look it up. But I will say it was all consensual.

My idea of Søren

[image error]

2. Søren started training Nora to be his slave at the age of 15 when she kept getting in trouble and he realized she had a kinky side to her. Yes, the age difference is a ton. Shocker – way older man and teen.

3. Nora actually went from being the slave in the M/s relationship to a Dominatrix. Yes, she became a switch. This is the part the fascinated me. Reading about her overcoming years of training to gain her freedom but she felt unfulfilled in the end.

My idea of Nora

description

4. Not only did her friend Kingsley train her to be a Dominatrix but she become number 2 on the tree of Big Bad Doms/Dommes in The Circle (A BDSM Club). She had all kinds of high-profile clients and yes you get to see this side of her work.

5. While all this is going on she is writing a book with her editor who pushes her to be the best(another form of sadist) and she thrives with having harsh critique and deadlines.

6. Her assistant Wes used to be her student and now lives with her. He is Nineteen. That’s right we have the whole Cougar scenario. I am telling you Tiffany left no area alone. Wes is madly in love with Nora, but she is trying desperately to stay away from this vanilla man.

My idea of Wesley

[image error]

7. She has a surprise birthday gift and I don’t want to spoil everything but needless to say this one was another shocker. Huge Shock!

8. I thought Zac, Nora’s editor, and Nora got a long great but the man has a past just as taboo as hers. Let’s just say she gives him some needed therapy. Oh did I mention he is married. O.O

My idea of Zac!

[image error]

9. Well I think I have come up with enough shockers but I am sure there are more. My system might still be in shock.

“I know people think erotica is just a romance novel with rougher sex. It’s not. If it’s a subgenre of anything, it’s horror.”
“Horror? Really?”
“Romance is sex plus love. Erotica is sex plus fear. You’re terrified of me, aren’t you?”

I don’t think I need to say much more than that. I promise you however that if you read it you can’t help but feel something for these characters. Whether it is good or bad Tiffany writes a very compelling novel as well as controversial.

Before I finish I do want to sneak in a little plot outline :

Nora is writing a novel and wants it published by a certain publishing house. She also wants Zac as her editor. Well Nora gets what Nora wants. This story takes us on her journey through hell. This journey is the one mentioned above about her becoming a Dominatrix and no longer being in a M/s relationship.

Wesley is lovable and you can’t help but root for the underdog. He may only be nineteen but he is quite mature. Nora and Wesley seem to be different sides of the same coin. They both look out for each other and drive each other crazy at the same time.

Søren does make some appearances. We see more flashbacks than anything else. This part is what drew me in. I guess you could say it lets you into the mind of a Sadist or at the very least a slave in the M/s relationship. I will state again that it was all consensual. So no foul play here.

Zac and Nora set the sheets on fire with the kind of sexual tension these two have throughout. I thought they balanced each other out quite well.

I want to say that this book left me with a happy ending but until I read the second book, The Angel, I was very conflicted. All I can say is that you get to take a look at Nora’s rebirth into life. This book is her freedom, but that freedom has come at a cost and it might just be too high and leave her unsatisfied.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Siren.

07/15 page 25
6.0% ""Don't judge a book by it's mother. Just read.""
07/15 page 26
7.0% "I know that people think erotica is just a romance novel with rougher sex. It's not. If it's a subgenre of anything, it's horror." "Horror? Really?" "Romance is sex plus love. Erotica is sex plus fear. You're terrified of me aren't you.""
04/28 marked as: read

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Great review. Your Søren is Lickable!

Katie Awesome review! I, too, love your idea of Soren! I had trouble picturing him in my mind.

message 3: by Ian (last edited Aug 06, 2012 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Nice review. It's kind of funny but this book didn't really tear me up very much. I'm not sure why, but it has definitely been one of my stand-outs for 2012, and at the moment is headed towards being my best book for 2012.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Ian wrote: "Nice review. It's kind of funny but this book didn't really tear me up very much. I'm not sure why, but it has definitely been one of my stand-outs for 2012, and at the moment is headed towards bei..."

Amanda The Book Slayer Hey Ian I think I fixed Zac's pic. Let me know if it still is not working. Thanks.

Amanda The Book Slayer @ Michele - Thanks. I saw this pic and thought, wow he is to die for, which in The Angel is apparently what you feel when you see Soren.

@Anna- I know it can be scary, but I think sometimes it helps knowing a little of what will happen in the book. Sometimes I am not so scared then. Good luck and I will be looking forward to see what you think of it when you get there.

@Katie- I had the same problem until I read The Angel. I think Tiffany describes him better in the second book.

@Ian - I might have felt that way b/c I come from a very conservative background. So the whole time my mind (or what I had drummed into me at a young age) was conflicted with what my heart felt was right.

Amanda The Book Slayer Thanks Anna. :o) It was showing up on my screen before so I had no idea it wasn't working.

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Michele from ROL Book Blog wrote: "Ian- tell them how you weren't sure about reading this book and then we twisted your arm then made it "all better" with cyber hugs and kisses and you jumped on board. ;) "

lol...I probably wouldn't have read it without that little push, and I would have missed out on a great book. It's kind of nice having people you trust pushing you out of your comfort zone now and then.

message 9: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Amanda wrote: "I might have felt that way b/c I come from a very conservative background. So the whole time my mind (or what I had drummed into me at a young age)"

I had the same, but not in a good way. My sister is a lesbian and when she came out, my father refused to have anything to do with her. I saw what my father was and made a conscious decision to be something different.
I still do struggle with some things though.

Amanda The Book Slayer Ian wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I might have felt that way b/c I come from a very conservative background. So the whole time my mind (or what I had drummed into me at a young age)"

I had the same, but not in a goo..."

I am so sorry to hear about that. It makes me upset that Parents would be so...lsadlkfieljfi about something like that.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Ian wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I might have felt that way b/c I come from a very conservative background. So the whole time my mind (or what I had drummed into me at a young age)"

I had the same, but not in a goo..."

That's sad and wonderful, Ian. Bittersweet. You made positive change from something negative in your life. Nature vs nurture is age old, and will never die.

(he didn't require arm twisting, we just asked him nicely and he came willingly. Ian must be in all groups Searock and I are in now. It's a rule. One we made up, but a rule nonetheless.;)