Hannah's Reviews > No Talking

No Talking by Andrew Clements

F 50x66
Jul 07, 2012

Read in July, 2012

I liked how the author went back and forth between narrators. This book is about Dave Packer, a 12 year old boy who reads about Gandhi. Gandhi inspires Dave to go one day without talking, which creates a crisis in school. Dave is called up to the front of the room and is asked to read out loud his paper. Dave doesn't want to break his vow, so he doesn't talk and gets in trouble with his partner, Lynsey Burgers. Lynsey is a straight "A" student who had been forced to work with Dave on a presentation. After class, when Lysney asks Dave what happened, he doesn't say anything. The next day Lynsey asks again, and Dave explains what he did. Lynsey says that the girls can go longer without talking. Dave disagrees and says that the boys will go longer without talking. Things get messy and the principal calls Dave into her office to talk. Dave doesn't talk to the principal, but instead writes notes and uses hand gestures to tell her what he was doing. The principal understands, but makes him stop. She then comes on the loudspeaker and tells everyone that the game is over. No body listens and the game is still on. Things continue to get messier from there. At one point the principal yells at the students to talk and Dave yells back," I do not have to talk if I don't want to. This is our lunch time. None of us have to talk!" (pg. 130). The students learn that words are really powerful. I would recommend this book to my brother because he likes books by Andrew Clements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Talking.