Zandra's Reviews > Silver Sparrow

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

"My father, James Witherspoon, is a bigamist." With that explosive first sentence we are drawn into the world of Dana and Chaurisse-two women who share the same father. Dana, the product of an affair, was always relegated to the background. She was always the secret. Chaurisse, on the other hand, was the only child her parents had and she grew up with their love care and support and had a very comfortable life. Of course Dana had feelings of jealousy, especially when she couldnd't do things she wanted if her father felt it would put her too close to Chaurisse. He couldn't take a chance on his two different lives colliding and his secret being exposed.

This was a book that I can, in a way, relate to. Like Chaurisse, I found out in my late teens that I have a sister who is very close in age to me. She grew up knowing about me and wanting to meet me, yet I knew nothing about her. I felt the hurt, betrayal and anger that Chaurisse felt to learn that her father had a totally secret life that she and her mother knew nothing about.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. There is so much to talk about/pick apart that I'm sure will cause it to be a hit with book groups. Jones, a very gifted and talented writer, is to be commended for delivering a great story that captures you with the very first sentence. Each character was richly drawn and elicited caring from the reader - even Dana's mother Gwendolyn (my least favorite person in the book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Sparrow.